Anyone living in England can register with a GP surgery. It's free to register.

If you have problems registering with a GP telephone the NHS England Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 22 33.

Telephone 111. This is the free phone number to call when you have an urgent healthcare need. It directs you to the right local service, first time.

The NHS will provide any clinically necessary treatment needed to keep your mouth, teeth, and gums healthy and free of pain.
To find a local NHS visit: dentist

You may need urgent help for many reasons.

The important thing to know is you will not be wasting anyone's time.

Call local NHS Mental Health Services at 0800 001 4331

or Text "SHOUT" to 85258 for free from all major UK mobile networks. You'll then be connected to a volunteer for an anonymous conversation by text message.

Access to free healthcare in the UK is underpinned by your immigration status.

Eligibility to free healthcare has changed since Brexit. If you are an EU citizen and arrived after the deadline or have not completed your Settled Status application, you may be charged for healthcare in the UK.

To check if you are eligible to free healthcare click here


Most children start school in the September after their fourth birthday. This means they’ll turn 5 during their first school year.

For example, if your child’s fourth birthday is between 1 September 2022 and 31 August 2023 they will usually start school in September 2023.

Lincolnshire County Council manage all school applications in Lincoln.

All school children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 will receive free school meals.
If you receive benefits or have a low income your older children may be entitled to free school meals. Telephone the Free Schools Meal team 01522 782030.


You need to have a National Insurance Number (NINO) if you are working in the UK.

It is free to apply - you do not need to pay anyone to apply for you.

You can apply for a National Insurance Number if you:

-live in the UK
-have the right to work in the UK.
-are working, looking for work or have an offer to start work

The application process for a NINO can take up to 4 weeks.

You apply online.

Helpline Telephone: 0800 141 2079

If you have a BRP (biometric residence permit), you might have a National Insurance number already - it will be printed on the back of your BRP.

To be updated

If you are working but on a low income you may be entitled to welfare benefits on top of your salary.

Employment laws in the UK are here to protect workers. Acas gives employees and employers free, impartial advice on workplace rights, rules, and best practice.

If you would like to improve your employment prospects there are local opportunities for you.